2023 Tribal Consultation
Through this consultation, the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP) is seeking Tribal Leader, policymaker, practitioner and other interested party input on OJJDP priorities, proposed regulations, and how OJJDP funding can best support Tribes to enhance and expand efforts to prevent and reduce delinquency and improve juvenile justice systems. This consultation will be conducted virtually via webinar with multiple dates available:
- September 27, 2023 from 1-5 p.m. ET - Tribal Consultation and Listening Session - Lower 48
- October 11, 2023, from 1-5 p.m. ET - Tribal Consultation and Listening Session - Alaska
- October 27, 2023, from 1-5 p.m. ET - Tribal Consultation and Listening Session
Tribal Leaders unable to attend either of their scheduled Tribal Consultations are invited to attend the final Tribal Consultation on October 27, 2023. In addition, Tribal Leaders are encouraged to send written comments to OJJDP through November 27, 2023 via email to [email protected] or through the mail to: OJJDP, Attention: Tribal Team, 810 Seventh Street NW, Washington, DC 20531.
On June 25, 2020, the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP) held a Tribal consultation via webinar with 288 Tribal leaders and representatives from across the country. View the 2020 Tribal Consultation video.
"The participants provided input on how OJJDP can collaborate with Tribal communities to implement applicable provisions of the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act (JJDPA), as amended by the Juvenile Justice Reform Act (JJRA).
During the consultation, OJJDP also sought feedback from Tribes on how to increase their access to juvenile justice funding and improve federal and state coordination with Tribal communities. OJJDP encouraged participants and those unable to participate to submit their input during a 120-day comment period following the webinar. OJJDP received a total of 31 comments during that timeframe.
As a follow up to the consultation, OJJDP has issued the report, OJJDP Tribal Consultation Response. The report summarizes findings from the consultation, OJJDP's responses for resolving the issues discussed, feedback received during the comment period, and OJJDP action items to help build and maintain its support of Tribal communities and their juvenile justice programs. The link to the full report is available below.
2020 Tribal Consultation Resources
Access the following resources from the Tribal Consultation held on June 25, 2020:
- Report: OJJDP Tribal Consultation Response (July 2021)
- Watch the Tribal Consultation webinar (June 2020)
- Access the webinar presentation (June 2020)
- Read the video transcript (June 2020)
- Read the article, "Tribal Consultation Report Highlights OJJDP-Tribal Discussions, Commitments," in the OJJDP News @ a Glance, July/August 2021 newsletter
- Read the article, "OJJDP Hosts Virtual Tribal Consultation," in the OJJDP News @ a Glance, July/August 2020 newsletter
- Juvenile Justice Reform Act Tribal Provisions Fact Sheet