U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government, Department of Justice.

2009 Juvenile Accountability Block Grant

Award Information

Award #
Awardee County
Congressional District
Funding First Awarded
Total funding (to date)

Description of original award (Fiscal Year 2009, $737,400)

The Juvenile Accountability Block Grant Program (JABG) Program is authorized under the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 2002 (42 U.S.C. 376ee). The goal of the JABG program is to reduce juvenile offending through accountability-based programs focused on both the juvenile offender and the juvenile justice system. The objective is to ensure that States and Territories are addressing the specified program purpose areas and receiving information on best practices from OJJDP. JABG funds are allocated to States and Territories based on each State's relative population of youth under the age of 18. The underlying premise of juvenile accountability programming is that young people who violate the law should be held accountable for their actions through the swift, consistent application of graduated sanctions that are proportionate to the offense, both as a matter of basic justice and as a way to combat juvenile delinquency, and improve the quality of life in the nation's communities.

The State of South Carolina submitted a request for a waiver of the local distribution requirement and adequately demonstrated that the State is responsible for 91 percent of the burden for administration of juvenile justice. The State will pass through the remaining 9 percent to units of local government. At the State level, South Carolina will focus on the following purpose areas: detention and corrections facilities, court staffing and pre-trial services, risk and needs assessment, training for detention corrections personnel, and reentry programming.

Date Created: August 13, 2009