Description of original award (Fiscal Year 2008, $169,926)
Through Make a Ballet, American Ballet Theatre (ABT) aims to increase students' school achievement, including school attendance, test scores, and self confidence, using the introduction of arts skills and practices as a means of providing inspiration. By imparting the students with new knowledge, they will discover new opportunities and interests, and will be more likely to succeed in school and ultimately pursue a college education.
ABT has been offering Make a Ballet in New York City public schools since 1997. Past Make a Ballet evaluations have demonstrated that the program builds confidence and promotes excellence. In addition, Make a Ballet impacted the schools by helping to shape and support dance departments and other arts programs.
Evaluations have shown that:
* Students show increased self-esteem in their classrooms.
* Students learn time management skills and how to operate effectively in a high-pressure environment.
* Students feel an enormous sense of pride and achievement at the conclusion of the program year.
* Students' school attendance increases.
* The experience of putting on a production translates into increased attendance at the theatre.
* Students learn to find creative solutions to problems.
* Students develop leadership qualities.
* Students see themselves as having limitless opportunities.
Evaluation conducted by artsvision® - 2004.