Description of original award (Fiscal Year 2010, $600,000)
The Formula Grants Program is authorized under the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (JJDP) Act of 1974, as amended. The purpose of this program is to support State and local delinquency prevention and intervention efforts and juvenile justice system improvements. Program areas may include: Planning and administration; State Advisory Group allocation; compliance monitoring; juvenile justice issues for American Indian tribes; prevention of substance abuse by juveniles; prevention of serious and violent crimes by juveniles; prevention of juvenile gang involvement and illegal youth gang activities; prevention of delinquent acts and identification of youth at risk of delinquency; and improvement of juvenile justice system operations, policies, and procedures including establishing a system of graduated sanctions, treatment programs, and aftercare.
The State of New Mexico has chosen to focus on the following program areas. The goals of the program areas selected are delinquency prevention and reduction, juvenile justice system improvement, research including statistical analysis, training and technical assistance.
1. Program Area 09 - Delinquency Prevention
2. Program Area 19 - Juvenile Justice System Improvement
3. Program Area 02 - Alternative to Detention
4. Program Area 14 - Continuum of Graduated Sanctions
5. Program Area 17 - Jail Removal
6. Program Area 08 - Deinstitutionalization of Status Offenders (DSO)
7. Program Area 10 - Disproportionate Minority Contact (DMC)
8. Program Area 22 - Native American Pass-through
9. Program Area 13 - Gender Specific Services
10. Program Area 31 - State Advisory Group Allocation
11. Program Area 23 - Planning and Administration
12. Program Area 26 - Rural Area Juvenile Programs