Description of original award (Fiscal Year 2010, $600,000)
The Formula Grants Program is authorized under the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (JJDP) Act of 1974, as amended. The purpose of this program is to support State and local delinquency prevention and intervention efforts and juvenile justice system improvements. Program areas may include: Planning and administration; State Advisory Group allocation; compliance monitoring; juvenile justice issues for American Indian tribes; prevention of substance abuse by juveniles; prevention of serious and violent crimes by juveniles; prevention of juvenile gang involvement and illegal youth gang activities; prevention of delinquent acts and identification of youth at risk of delinquency; and improvement of juvenile justice system operations, policies, and procedures including establishing a system of graduated sanctions, treatment programs, and aftercare.
Specifically, the State of Kansas plans to provide program funding to the following program areas:
- Competitive grants to local communities for delinquency prevention;
- Grants to local communities for 2nd year intervention programs to address disproportionate minority contact with the Models for Change communities in Seward and Lyon counties;
- JJA Research Division for stipends for university intern students to address an evaluation of the effectiveness of grant funded programs under Juvenile Justice System Improvement;
- Compliance Monitoring; and
- Native American proograms