Description of original award (Fiscal Year 2010, $2,980,000)
The Formula Grants Program is authorized under the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (JJDP) Act of 1974, as amended. The purpose of this program is to support State and local delinquency prevention and intervention efforts and juvenile justice system improvements. Program areas may include: Planning and administration; State Advisory Group allocation; compliance monitoring; juvenile justice issues for American Indian tribes; prevention of substance abuse by juveniles; prevention of serious and violent crimes by juveniles; prevention of juvenile gang involvement and illegal youth gang activities; prevention of delinquent acts and identification of youth at risk of delinquency; and improvement of juvenile justice system operations, policies, and procedures including establishing a system of graduated sanctions, treatment programs, and aftercare.
In addition to allocating funding for planning and administration and the State Advisory Group, Florida will focus on the following program areas for funding years 2010 - 2011:
- Aftercare/Reentry /Faith and Community-based organizations in the admittance of aftercare services for youth returning home following juvenile confinement.
- Continuation of the compliance monitoring contract with G4S Youth Services to conduct statewide compliance monitoring activities.
- Increase utilization of Disproportionate Minority Contact (DMC) programs, which meet the needs of minority youth and respond specifically to minority youth and their families; provide technical assistance and
- Provide DMC specific training to local communities and continue to provide funding for the DMC task force.
- Increase Gender Specific Services programs targeting females.
- Continuation of Jail Removal and Transportation Voucher programs.
- Increase implementation of School Programs that lower the number of school related referrals, as well as provision of training and technical assistance to school resource officers, faculty and staff.