U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government, Department of Justice.

Dot gov

The .gov means it’s official.
Federal government websites always use a .gov or .mil domain. Before sharing sensitive information online, make sure you’re on a .gov or .mil site by inspecting your browser’s address (or “location”) bar.

Https

The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

Juvenile Accountability Block Grant

Award Information

Award #
2009-JB-FX-0064
Location
Congressional District
Status
Closed
Funding First Awarded
2009
Total funding (to date)
$645,100

Description of original award (Fiscal Year 2009, $645,100)

The Juvenile Accountability Block Grant Program (JABG) Program is authorized under the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 2002 (42 U.S.C. 376ee). The goal of the JABG program is to reduce juvenile offending through accountability-based programs focused on both the juvenile offender and the juvenile justice system. The objective is to ensure that States and Territories are addressing the specified program purpose areas and receiving information on best practices from OJJDP. JABG funds are allocated to States and Territories based on each State's relative population of youth under the age of 18. The underlying premise of juvenile accountability programming is that young people who violate the law should be held accountable for their actions through the swift, consistent application of graduated sanctions that are proportionate to the offense, both as a matter of basic justice and as a way to combat juvenile delinquency, and improve the quality of life in the nation's communities.

The Oregon Commission on Children and Families (OCCF) is the designated agency to receive JABG funds in the State of Oregon. OCCF retains 5% of JABG funding for planning and administration and passes through the remaining 95% to Units of Local Government. The 36 counties and nine federally recognized tribes in Oregon are awarded JABG funds on a formula basis to support activities such as: funding treatment facility beds, funding for officers to reinforce school attendance, peer court assistants, mental health evaluation and treatment services, hiring prosecutors to reduce case backlog for violent juveniles, victim offender mediation, as well as wraparound services to high-risk families.

NCA/NCF

Date Created: July 28, 2009